Saturday, August 15, 2009

Deon Meyer - Dead at Daybreak


Until earlier this week I had never read a Deon Meyer book and truth be told I probably wouldn't have made much effort to do so.

Fortunately I was bored and there was a Deon Meyer book which materialised - I am still not entirely clear on how - on our bookshelf and I decided to give it a go...

... and I am glad I did.

To see a South African author putting out such good quality work impresses me.

The book was entitled: "Dead at Daybreak" and the synopsis reads:

An antiques dealer is burned with a blow torch, then killed. The contents of the safe are missing and the only clues are a scrap of blank paper and the unusual weapon used, the choice of mercenaries, not burglars. Now ex-cop Zatopek 'Zed' van Heerden has fourteen days in which to fill in the blanks in this dead man's past.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The book itself had a distinctly South African feel to it and you got a good sense of real-life in South Africa. The one area I battled with was trying to place where in time the story was set (I think it had something to do with the jumping around in time and the small-towns which were mentioned) but it became clearer as the story went along.

I actually quite enjoyed the book and would definately go and see if I could pick up other titles by this author.

Details
Title: Dead at Daybreak Author: Deon Meyer ISBN-13: 978-0-340-73943-3

Rated the book a 3 and half out of 5 - an entertaining crime / action read

No comments:

Post a Comment