Friday, January 2, 2009

Scarpetta - Patricia Cornwall


I'll admit I've read more than my fair share of Patricia Cornwall books - I think I'm man enough to admit it - but I have

never been a huge fan of hers. In other words, I would never intentionally go out and spend money on her books, but luckily my wife likes her a bit more than I do, so I end up reading the books.

Scarpetta is the latest in the series featuring Kay Scarpetta, the celebrity medical examiner, her high-tech niece Lucy, Pete Marino and the usual suspects. If you haven't read a Scarpetta book much of the storyline will be well lost on you as a number of references are made to incidents in previous books.

I personally hate it when I have no idea about the character dynamics going on in a book.

The book was very much a story of two halves with the beginning taking a long time to get going - it took till page 170 something before Scarpetta actually completed her first examination! A bit of a bore to be honest.

The second part of the story picks up the pace a bit but tended to get hung up on the character dynamics / interplay which some might enjoy but I kept skipping over to try and get back to the plot. I suppose it works for some people but not for me. The conclusion wasn't bad if not a little predictable.

Our end conclusion was that if you liked Cornwall you'll probably enjoy this book but if she isn't your kettle of tea don't waste your money.

Title: Scarpetta
Author: Patricia Cornwall
ISBN: 978-0-316-73314-4

We rated it a 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment