Saturday, May 16, 2009

Paths of Glory - Jeffrey Archer


I have just finished reading "Paths of Glory" which is the latest offering from Jeffrey Archer.

I'll be honest the book while the book was good - well written? - it never really seemed to get out of 2nd gear.

The story revolves around George Mallory and his attempts to climb Everest. It takes us over the story of his life as he develops from an eager young student into one of the best climbers of his generation.

I don't think anyone will ever be able to fault Archer's ability to write a story but this just did not seem to have the same punch that some of his other works did have. I found myself plopping into bed and reading two or three pages before passing out.

The character development was good in that you "watched" as the climbers and social circle matured as world events (such as World War 1 played out).

In all honesty I can't put my finger on what was missing but there wasn't enough to keep me turning page after page.

Title: Paths of Glory
Author: Jeffrey Archer
ISBN-13: 978-0-230-53143-7
Loot price: R199.00 (see banner right)

Our conclusion: A well written read with good character development. Unfortunately the story just wasn't engaging enough for me. Rated it a 3 out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. My wife is reading the book at the moment and she makes a good point - it is not an exciting book but rather a chronological story...

    ReplyDelete